Leasing of Solar Panels
Welcome to our page dedicated to the rental of solar panels for self-consumption in Spain.
Here you will be able to find all the necessary information to know how this service works, its advantages and disadvantages compared to the purchase of solar panels, aid and subsidies, guarantees, the difference between renting and leasing, as well as the options offered by the companies in the Spanish market. Let's get started!
Solar panel rental is a service that allows individuals and companies to install solar panels in their homes or businesses without having to make an initial investment for their purchase and take advantage of all the advantages of self-consumption. In this service, the company that provides the solar panels is responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of the solar panels, while its customers only have to pay a monthly fee for it.
Said payment is made up of monthly installments for 20 years. These payments ensure the maintenance and optimal performance of the photovoltaic installation without the client having to worry about it. After 20 years, the self-consumption facility is the property of the same. However, the client has the option to switch to the purchase model at any time, paying the capital that is still outstanding.
Enjoy the advantages of leasing solar panels.
Frequently asked questions about leasing solar panels
What is the leasing of solar panels?
It is an alternative to buying the solar system. The person who rents said system benefits from all the advantages of solar energy, keeping 100% of the energy produced and paying a monthly fee to the contracted company (lessee).
The option of renting solar panels, designed to promote the generation of own photovoltaic energy and support the transition towards green energy, has established itself in the Spanish market as an alternative to purchasing that will continue to be valid in the future. This refers to the renting of the system (sometimes there is also talk of leasing, although they are different options). We will see them in detail in a moment.
We are going to give a clear and daily example to understand this concept, which works in a similar way to renting a flat. You pay a monthly amount to the lessee, but it is the owner of the home (in this case, the photovoltaic system), who is responsible for ensuring that its elements, such as doors, windows or appliances, work for give you the service In the case of the photovoltaic system, maintenance and repair of the installation of solar panels.
How does the rental of solar panels for self-consumption work?
The operation is simple. The company that provides the solar panels carries out an analysis of the user's energy needs and the space available for the installation of the solar panels. After that, the company installs the solar panels and takes care of their maintenance and repair. The client will only need to pay a monthly fee and, in general, the cost of maintenance and repair will be included.
What is the difference between leasing or buying solar panels?
The choice to buy panels or not is very personal. The installation is the same in both cases, so it is a matter of personal preference.
The client can choose to pay the full cost of the solar panel installation or choose the financing alternative with the purchase model. By acquiring the solar panels, the client becomes the owner of the same. It is beneficial to purchase a photovoltaic system due to its profitability. Being the owner of the installation, the client has the guarantee that he will obtain a higher performance, which will translate into greater benefits. However, he requires an initial outlay (or finance it with a bank) and as soon as the product guarantees run out (after 10-12 years), he will have to take care of the maintenance of the system.
Instead, through the solar panel leasing option, it offers savings from day one and avoids any initial outlay, only paying a monthly fee over two decades. In addition, during this period, he has extended guarantees on the entire system, thus being able to stop worrying about its maintenance.
What are the benefits or advantages and disadvantages of renting solar panels for self-consumption?
Among the advantages are:
- It is not necessary to make an initial investment for the purchase of solar panels.
- Not having to worry about the maintenance and repair of the solar panels, since this is done by the company that supplies the solar panels.
- Savings on the electricity bill by producing your own clean energy from the installation of solar panels, thus helping the environment.
Among the disadvantages are:
- The total cost in the long run may be greater than the cost of purchasing the solar panels.
- You do not own the solar panels, so you cannot directly benefit from possible tax incentives.
- The contract could include restrictive clauses, such as limitations on the use of the energy produced by the solar panels.
Why is the installation of solar panels with leasing profitable?
By leasing solar panels, the sun's energy is used to generate its own electricity, resulting in a more affordable option than acquiring it from the conventional network. In the same way, through the solar rental, 50% is saved in the cost of electricity compared to market prices, during a period of 20 years.
Leasing of solar panels.
Can you receive subsidies for the rental of solar panels?
Yes, regardless of whether you are going to buy or rent the system, you can benefit from municipal and local subsidies for solar panels.
What subsidies for self-consumption can be requested with the renting of solar panels?
Always remembering that the system is owned by the company, it is the company that will request the corresponding aid for each installation with a rental modality. Once said aid is granted, the company will adjust the monthly fee applied to the client.
The aid that can be requested are:
- IBI bonuses
- ICIO Bonuses
- State and regional aid
We invite you to discover everything about aid and subsidies on our page!
What guarantees does the solar lease offer?
With this option, you can enjoy the following guarantees:
- Panel manufacturer's warranty
- The guarantee of the photovoltaic inverter
- The guarantee offered by the installation company
In this type of modality, companies normally offer a 20-year guarantee and replace any element that does not work even if it is outside the term of the guarantee offered by the manufacturer.
What is the mechanism for renting solar panels? How does it work?
The mechanics are as follows:
- The owner or owner of the home transfers his roof to a company, which through a certified installer places the solar panels and becomes the owner of the system. The company undertakes to install and maintain the system, guaranteeing its optimal operation at all times.
- The home owner rents the system and makes monthly payments to the company to cover the service. In some cases, a small initial investment may be required, although this is not always the case. The monthly fee varies depending on the consumption of the home and the size of the installation.
- You are offered the option to purchase the system at any time without penalty. Contracts typically run for 20 years, while facilities have a useful life of 30 years or more.
Can energy that is not consumed be sold?
In general, the answer on the compensation of surpluses depends on the specific conditions of the solar panel leasing contract that has been agreed with the supplier company. Although some companies allow the sale of excess energy to the electric grid, this is not as common compared to the purchase of solar panels. It is important to take into account that in Spain, the regulation on the sale of energy generated through solar panels varies according to the autonomous community and can be complex.
In some cases, it is necessary to register as a producer of electricity and comply with a series of requirements and procedures to sell energy to the grid. Therefore, it is essential to know the local regulations before considering selling energy generated by solar panels and consult the specific agreements with the supplier company.
What is the difference between renting and financing solar panels?
As we have been seeing so far, the rent translates into:
- Hassle-Free Solar Solution
- Fixed monthly fee, without affecting increases in the price of electricity
- No initial investment
- 20-year peace of mind guaranteesInstallers and specialists who will provide technical support to ensure the proper functioning of the solar installation during the duration of the contract
- The solar panel system can be purchased at any time during the contract
- Payment is made to the company that owns the facility.
On the other hand, the financing supposes:
- Normally the loans offered by banks are from 10 to 12 years
- 10-year guarantees
- Be the owner of the system
- Payment is to the lender
What are the differences between renting and leasing solar panels?
Renting and leasing are two forms of leasing, but they have some differences.
Leasing is a way of financing solar panels, but without going through the bank. It is very similar to renting solar panels, since there is no initial investment, a monthly fee must be paid, and once the term is over, they give you the option to buy them.
The leasing of solar panels, in addition to the option of paying for the installation month by month, includes other additional services, such as maintenance, repair and updating of the solar system. It is the easiest option to stop worrying and have solar energy at home or business.
You are not the owner of the plates but at the end of the contract, the client can buy the installation or request its removal.
What is the price of renting solar panels?
Some indicative prices according to the size of the installation and taking a 380W polycrystalline panel as a reference, are the following:
Installation size Monthly price
Small €30 - €45
Medium €45 - €65
Large €65 - €85
Which companies offer solar panel rental options in Spain?
In Spain, there are several solar energy companies that offer this option so that any client has the opportunity to install a self-consumption system at a highly affordable cost. Therefore, any home or business can choose to switch to self-consumption. Here are some of the options on the market:
- Holaluz: an electric company that offers a rental service for solar panels for self-consumption. It offers different plans that adapt to the needs of each client.
- Endesa: an electric company that offers different rental options for solar panels for self-consumption. It offers a comprehensive service that includes the installation, maintenance and repair of solar panels.
- Som Energia: an electric cooperative that offers different rental options for solar panels for self-consumption. It offers rental plans that adapt to the needs of each client.
- Fotona Solar: a company that offers a rental service for solar panels for self-consumption. It offers different rental plans that adapt to the needs of each client.
- Viesgo: an electric company that offers different rental options for solar panels for self-consumption. It offers a comprehensive service that includes the installation, maintenance and repair of solar panels.
- Otovo: a solar energy company that offers rental of solar panels for self-consumption through a comfortable monthly fee and without initial investment. It offers a corrective maintenance service for the system during the first 20 years (10 in the case of batteries) and with the option to purchase the system at any time without surcharge. On occasions, it offers promotions for the first 3 months of free rent. Price: from €25/month.
- Sunhero: a solar energy company that offers rental of solar panels for self-consumption without initial investment, paying a fixed monthly fee from €26/month. No installation cost, with 20 years of maintenance and no worries for customers.
- Svea solar: a solar energy company that offers rental of solar panels for self-consumption with a monthly fee, enjoying all the advantages without initial investment, for 20 years in which they take care of everything. They also offer financing service.
These are just some of the options in the Spanish market. It is advisable to compare the different options available and choose the one that best suits the needs of each client.
Some conclusions about renting and leasing of solar panels!
Rental, renting, leasing or purchase of solar panels: which is the best option?
The answer to this question depends on each homeowner or business owner.
Depending on the economic possibilities and tranquility that each home seeks, you can choose one option or another. However, it is important to keep in mind that the investment will be recovered in a short period of time. In the current circumstances, without aid for self-consumption, in general terms in Spain a return on investment can be expected within a period of between 5 and 7 years, thanks to savings on the electricity bill.
For this reason, everything depends on each particular situation, but if you have the initial investment power, it is best to buy solar panels in order to take advantage of them throughout their useful life and have 100% control over them when you are the owner. of the system, without depending on any company. In addition, in the long run, the rent is more expensive.
However, when we talk about buying, not all manufacturers' guarantees reach 20 years, so the owner of the system has to take care of the management with the manufacturer later. The rental, however, has extended guarantees on the entire system, thus being able to stop worrying about its maintenance.
If we talk about renting or leasing, renting is the best option, since it includes more additional services, as we have seen previously. In these cases, as we have commented, it is profitable from the first day and you do not have to advance any amount of initial money.
For this reason, renting solar panels is the best option for people who do not want to commit to financing through a bank, who do not have the initial capital to pay cash and who want to not worry about the maintenance of solar panels for 20 years. Even so, it must be remembered that there will be a dependency on the company that owns the photovoltaic system during the duration of the contract.
Request quotes here!
If you want more information about solar products, request quotes with different installers without obligation here.